Learn Bearing Handling and Storage methods from the Experts.
Bearings are machined elements that work in a high precision environment. Correct handling of bearings is critical to obtain an optimal performance.
Recommendations for bearing storage
- Store in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight and moisture
- Store on a raised base (30cm above the floor), to avoid dust accumulation
- Maintain stable temperature of storage area (around 20°C)
- Maintain humidity levels (below 65%) to prevent rusting
- Do not stack bearings in many layers to avoid falling and consequential damage
- Use bearings on a first-in and first-out basis, to use older packs first
- Take maximum care to save bearings from impact shocks like dropping, etc. as it can damage the raceways, rolling element or the cage.
Recommendations for bearing transportation and handling
- Protect bearing from falling when transporting
- Handle heavy bearing cases with forklift or hoist
- Do not roll large bearings when shifting places
- Always cover bearings with clean packing paper
- To avoid contamination, do not open the bearing pack until installation
- Avoid direct human contact with bearing. Use proper tools and wear gloves to protect them from rust or contamination